CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Jonah's 1st Christmas

I have to say that I was very anxious and excited about our first Christmas as a family. I had these visions of grandeur, ideas of our little 3 person family unit having the most amazing time and creating lasting memories. So needless to say, I put a little .... what's the word .... EXPECTATION into our celebration. Maybe too much pressure for a 10 month old. *sigh*

This Christmas we decided we would be spending it in Nashville. So before we packed up and headed out we decided the night before that we would have Jonah's Christmas at home. I really had in my mind that Jonah would totally appreciate all the gifts and it would be laughs galore just watching him tear into everything. Jonah couldn't have cared less about the gifts, wrapping, tissue paper, tinsel or anything. I think at one moment Andrew looked over and said ... "Are you disappointed?" Was it THAT obvious?! Ha. I pretty much opened all his gifts while he crawled away. He was more interested in freedom and finding things to destroy or get into than any of the gifts we got him. Did I mention too much pressure?! Andrew was trying to stroke my ego when he said ... "Don't worry babe, he will care next year!" Then I came to my senses and swallowed some much needed pride while I reassured myself ... "He's ONLY 10 months!" Next year will be AMAZING, I thought. ;-)

The next afternoon we left bound for Nashville. We decided to make it a two day trip out there. 10-11 hours driving in a car is not conducive of a sane traveling environment. Especially with a 10 month old. It's one thing if it's just Andrew and I ... but confining a boy who has tasted sweet freedom in a car seat for that long doesn't leave much of anybodies sanity to remain intact.

We made it to Little Rock, Arkansas that night. Oh, did I forget to mention we had an additional traveling companion? Our 9 year old chocolate lab! Yeah, that is an important detail.

We stayed in a really nice hotel that was pet friendly. It wasn't very sleep friendly for me, since I had the dog snoring and Andrew rustling all night and one of them would occasionally wake the baby and he would make some noise and fall back asleep. I think I only got 4-ish hours of sleep. Morning came entirely too early and back on the road we were. Only 5-ish hours left on our trip, which really took more like 6 - 6.5 due to the frequent stopping to empty our bladders, or the dogs and let the kiddo get out of his torture device for a few minutes.

We finally made it to Nashville and just in time. I thought I was about to lose my mind. We arrived in the afternoon of Christmas eve and a snowy Christmas was in the forecast. I was definitely looking forward to the white powdery stuff! Living in Texas all your life usually means you don't see too many white Christmas'. Although, the prior year we did have snow in Texas on Christmas Eve and Christmas day. I feel spoiled enjoying it two years in a row. Just kinda wished I didn't have to travel so far to get it.

Christmas morning came quickly. Jonah woke up at his normal time - 7:30 am. The morning festivities went something like this; wake up, coffee, eat, coffee, chat, Jonah's nap, more coffee, more chatting, Jonah wakes up, then time to have our Christmas celebration. It was a little bizarre for me because I am used to getting up early and opening gifts before 11:30. But it was nice to let it go slowly and enjoy the morning together.

Jonah got some great clothes and toys. None of which he even batted an eye at and Andrew and I got some great stuff as well. It was a really nice morning. A piece of my heart though was back at home since I wasn't with any of my family and it was the first Christmas in 31 years I hadn't seen my family. Namely my Grandfather. He was actually spending Christmas at Baylor Dallas going through chemotherapy and a stem cell transplant and courageously fighting Multiple Myeloma. Which I am happy to report he kicked it a$$! The fight isn't over but he responding so well to the treatment and his numbers were higher than anticipated. Thank you God for the miracles you work everyday! So, a part of me was thinking about him, so it wasn't quite Christmas for me. Now that I am part of another family, I have to learn to share. Something I think they teach you in kindergarten. I am not sure I passed it though. :)

It really was a nice time and I was happy to get a little vacation out of it. Towards the end of any trip I do start longing for my bath tub and my bed. I am truly spoiled and blessed. I am also very thankful for all the stuff that Jonah and all of us got. I am just mostly thankful for the true reason for the season that that is the birth of my personal Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ. He is the best gift I could have ever received.

Now for the cute photos. :)

Jonah's stash from our house

Jonah and his Papa looking at the snow

I think this is the only photo where he looks 'interested'

"Who cares about all this? Not me!"

Something to teeth on

Our mini Santa

Jonah and Kari



4 comments:

April Hicks said...

I really enjoy all your blogs! Thanks for the updates! Those pictures are too cute. Trust me, I had the same expectations with Katelyn's first Christmas (not so much with Brodie). I got over it and realized they really don't care until they can understand what it all is! Brodie still liked tissue paper more than presents even last year (his second Christmas). This year, he really started to enjoy it, really understood a little more who Santa Clause is and actually "tore" into his presents! Much more of what I was expecting! So, even if next year he's not too into it, trust me, he will be later!! <3

Krysie said...

Thanks sweetie! I think I kinda get it now. I just figured at his age he LOVES to tear things up and get into things....so presents would be the same! Nope....he had NO interest. LOL! I think I will have a better expectation next year and not put so much pressure on him. haha!

starshockey said...

Yeah, most kids don't really get "into" Christmas until they are around 2. Now Kaden this year tore into the packages, and took one to Matt & told him to open it for him, just said 'open'. It was a Thomas the Train thing I got him & he loves Thomas. Once Matt saw how many parts it had we had to get him involved in something else.

I can still remember the Christmas that we had thrown all the boxes & paper in a pile behind Grandmom's couch and all the toys were on the other side & you and Matt were over having the best time in the boxes and paper just giggling up a storm. It is one of my fondest Christmas memories of you kids.

Riley really gets into Christmas, but ONLY when it is toys. Forget the clothes, he does not care about them. We got him a DVD player this year, since his parents got him a tv, Matt said he would love it, NOT!! I am sure he does now, but was not enthused about it at all that day.

Jonah will prolly love Christmas this year I think, he will be close to 2, and I think he will be fine. Don't get to excited about his upcoming birthday either, I don't want you to be disappointed, when he could care less!!! haha

Love to all. Ohm, and I want to see a video of him walking!!!!

Rebecca said...

He will grow into Christmas as all children do. The pictures are wonderful and so is my adorable grandson and his beautiful mother. You were so missed this Christmas my dear child. You have no idea how much. I am glad you got your white Christmas.
Love you BUNCHES
Mom